Campaign against Fracking
There was a major crisis in July 2013, when Tamboran Resources announced its plans to drill a deep borehole in a quarry in Belcoo, County Fermanagh, and moved men and machinery on site. GEAI supported the protest in several ways. Members gave presentations to many groups who were not familiar with the problems associated with fracking; they also assisted in drafting flyers, posters and campaign material.
GEAI was very active on Global Frackdown Day in Fermanagh, supporting events throughout the day and producing publicity material.
In September, Leitrim County Council had to amend the policy statement concerning the ban on fracking in the draft Development Plan. GEAI members were very involved in the drafting of the new policy statement. Alternative wording affirmed the ban and was accepted unanimously.
Awareness-raising presentations and discussions
- Presentations given to Ballinlea Residents, Antrim; Several groups in Fermanagh, European Anglers Alliance, Cork.
- Participated in webinar on Climate Change organised by Mercy International; discussion session with Fr Sean McDonough, a member of the IPCC Climate Committee.
- Participated in Health Impact Assessment seminar in May, together with Love Leitrim and FFAN. Paper arising from Seminar.
- Hosted an EVS volunteer, Sergii Marynkovskyi, for 10 months, ending June 2014. This experience was so successful that we decided to apply for three volunteers to join us in September.
- Awarded accreditation as Erasmus+ Coordinating and Hosting organisation for three European volunteers.
- Hosted three volunteers from September – Santi, Olga and Irina.
- Successfully coordinated a Youth Democracy project (Democratic Energies), which ran from March – November 2014 with over 20 Irish and 12 Polish participants.
- Executive members of GEAI attended Erasmus+ Training programmes.
- Elected members of Irish Environmental Network (January)
- Elected members of Environmental Pillar
- Director Aedín McLoughlin appointed on the Advisory Committee of “Education for Sustainable Development”, run by Department of Education and Training.
- Became a member of People’s Energy Charter, with the goal of strengthening Public Participation in policy-making by Government.