Awareness-raising presentations and discussions
Presentations given to NUI Cork Environment Society, Fine Gael Constituency Officers, No Fracking Dublin group in NUI Maynooth.
• Letter campaign to Minister Fergus O’Dowd calling for a halt to the granting of exploration licences for Fracking. Over 1,000 letters received by Minister
• Campaigned for submissions to be made to EPA Public consultation on Terms of Reference for new study on Fracking. 1,300 submissions made.
• Submission made to EPA. Advice given to Sinn Féin, Fine Gael and Leitrim County Council members resubmissions. Forum on submissions put up on website
• Parliamentary questions given to Dáil deputies
• Cooperated with Fermanagh Fracking Awareness Network in “We Deserve Better” campaign.
Publicity for Campaign
• Hosted Deborah Rogers from Fort Worth, Texas. Radio interviews on Newstalk (Pat Kenny Show), local radio stations
• Organised major conference “2030 Vision – The Future of Energy in Ireland”. Speakers included Eamon Ryan (Green Party Leader), Dr David Taylor (Energy Institute, Ireland), Deborah Rogers (Energypolicyforum), and Matt Kennedy (SEAI).
• Website constantly maintained. Now being updated. Blog, Facebook and Twitter functions.
• Archive of independent peer-reviewed articles maintained on the impacts of fracking.
• Press releases published in Leitrim Observer, Anglo Celt, Donegal Post.
• Major updating of website
• In conjunction with MARDI, hosted EVS volunteer from France until March 2013.
• Awarded accreditation as hosting organisation for European volunteers.
• Hosted EVS volunteer from Ukraine from Sept ’13 to June ’14.
• Executive members of GEAI attended Youth in Action Training programmes
• Applied for Youth Democracy Project involving 10 Irish young people to take place in 2014.
• Became partners with LASC (Latin America Solidarity Centre)
• Hosted two volunteers from Peru and Colombia for a week as part of Latin America Week. Held 2 presentations in Limerick and organised a seminar in Carrick-on-Shannon on the Peruvian and Columbian experience of mega-extractive industries.