Fracking is not a local issue. Nationally, it threatens our two most important industries – agriculture and farming. At present, a study that is to inform Government policy on fracking is proceeding, but not as envisaged.
- Effectively, the study has been taken over by two consultancy firms who are working for oil and gas companies, including BP and Shell. The study is not independent.
- The main objective of the study – to answer the question: “Can UGEE projects/operations be carried out in the island of Ireland whilst also protecting the environment and human health?” – was written out of the research tasks and human health is ignored.
- The next phase of the “research” is the issuing of tenders for a number of seismic testing and ground monitoring stations north and south of the island, providing valuable information to the fracking companies. These tenders are due to be issued immediately.
- The study does not examine WHETHER fracking should be allowed; instead it looks HOW it can be rolled out in Ireland. It is not fit for purpose.
We suggest that you submit the following Notices of Motion to your Local Authority:
- Given that a) serious questions must be asked about the independence of the EPA-administered research study on “Environmental Impacts of Unconventional Gas Exploration & Extraction (UGEE)” (fracking) and b) the scope of the study which does not review public health impacts of fracking, this Council calls on Government, in particular the Ministers for the Environment and for Energy, to direct the EPA to stop the study immediately and to cancel the issuing of supplementary tenders for on-the-ground seismic testing and other monitoring tasks relating to this work.
- This council calls for a review of the public health impacts of fracking that considers the findings of all relevant peer-reviewed studies and reports, based on the methodology of the NY State DOH Public Health Review (December 2014), to be carried out by the Chief Medical Officer, under the auspices of the HSE and the Department of Health.
A PUBLICITY EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE OUTSIDE LEINSTER HOUSE ON THURSDAY 5TH NOVEMBER AT 12.30PM
PLEASE JOIN US TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR THIS CAUSE.
STOP THIS STUDY!
NO FRACKING IN IRELAND!